A 74 year old staunch Gandhian, donning the “Gandhi” topi was on indefinite fast for 12 days, so that you and me can live peacefully in a “corrupt free” India. The government first ignored and undermined his “anti corruption” movement, thinking that it will “pass”. But, millions of Indians in India, as well as across the globe made sure that they proved the government’s instincts wrong, and sent across a strong message to the government saying “Enough is Enough”! Millions of Indians marched across various parts of India, as well as different parts of the globe: New York,California, Dallas, London,Singapore, Australia, etc, donning the Gandhian topi, and holding candles in their hands, expressing solidarity to Anna’s movement against corruption. After the government’s unfolding “high voltage drama” of numerous “U-turns”, foiled attempts of Anna’s “character assassinations”, abuses, apologies,”Anna’s arrest & release”, etc,the Govt had to finally “give in” to,what is termed as “Second Freedom Struggle” by some Indians.
Now that Anna’s three conditions are being sent to standing committee, will this corruption end? Hypothetically after this bill,becomes a law, will corruption end? After millions stormed the streets,in support of Anna, after the mombattiwalas have burned millions of mombattis, have we uprooted corruption? Assuming that the Tihar jail, will display the sign board “House Full” after all the corrupt officials, traitors, money launderers have graced it, can we proudly say that we live in a “corrupt free India”? I doubt it!
Ask yourself, are you not directly or indirectly involved in any corruption, EVER, in any walk of your life? The main reason for corruption being so rampant in India, is that, it is not only government officials or politicians who are corrupt, but also, WE as Citizens, acting as a “catalyst” to it, there by, making corruption existent in various spheres and circles of various radii of our lives!!
What can WE, as citizens, DO to curb and uproot corruption?
1) STOP “Greasing palms” – Need a “driver’s license”? Afraid of flunking the license exam? What is the easiest way out? Catch hold of the broker, “grease” his palms, and voila!! You will get your driver’s license in a “jiffy”!
Did the traffic cop stop you for over speeding or breaking traffic rules or for not wearing helmet or jumping traffic signals or shifting lanes? or didn’t you carry your legitimate driver’s license or RTO certificate or emission certificate or insurance on your vehicle, when the traffic cop stopped you for “routine checks”? Is your hand itching now to “grease” the cop’s palm with some “moola” and slide away?
You have to get your job done at government office, you faint seeing the long bee line, or even your work demands you to make multiple trips to the office, you are thinking of ways to get the job done,sans multiple trips, more effectively,easily and faster. Is your brain hinting to “grease” the government officials’ palms?
2) STOP “Influencing” – You have a low score,which does not facilitate you to get into a renowned college or you did not pass a job interview? No worry, Money and influence speaks!! You have connections with “big bulls” in this industry? or are your bank accounts “overflowing” with cash?? Why not “use” your hard earned money to get into some renowned college or school on “management quota”? or why not even use your connections, to “influence” you or your kids to get a job offer, thus depriving the eligible candidate of his/her worth?
3) STOP “Dowry” practice – You may ask me how does “dowry” lead to corruption? Yes, it is corruption! Taking or giving “cash” or “kind” for any “purpose” amounts to CORRUPTION! I have heard many inane arguments by some guys where “dowry” is prevalent in their religion or community. Their argument is: “Whatever we take in cash/kind or gold from our father-in-law, will be used for our wife only” or “it will be moved within our own community”! Really dude?! Are you not MAN enough to earn your own bread and feed it to your wife and children? Do you need your “father-in-law’s” money to feed your family?!!! And what do you guys do after taking dowry? Do you and your parents treat her like “Queen”? If so, why are dowry deaths,suicides and harassment cases so prominent? Parties who “give” dowry are equally wrong, compared to parties who “demand” dowry. It is a market, if there is demand, there is supply; converse also holds good.
I m planning to write a separate blog post on “dowry”, will cover more points there.🙂
4) STOP “Female infanticide“ – Desperately need a boy child? Your doctor,who is not supposed to legally reveal the sex of your child,during your pregnancy, informed you stealthily that it is a girl child? What is the best way out? “Female infanticide”! You will be shocked to know that this practice is not only existent in poor,uneducated classes, but also in rich, educated classes who are “boy child maniacs”! Other reasons leading to “female infanticides” may be because of “rapes”, “dowry”, “acid attacks” being so rampant. Parents feel it is more safer and cheaper to have a “boy child” than a “girl child”, due to the above stated reasons!
Do you know that in USA, it is legal for the doctors to inform the sex of the child to their parents in the fifth month itself? That’s because, “female infanticide” is non-existent there!
“Female infanticide” is also a long pending blog post of mine.🙂🙂
5) STOP “Income tax” avoidance – You earn more money than you can actually hold? or are you greedy to hold all your money to yourself? What do you do? Catch hold of your kith and kin in “income tax” department, or even a CA, who can help you file wrong affidavits of your salary,so that you end up paying “peanuts” as your Income tax? Same thing holds good for “property taxes”. Pay your taxes properly on time for better India!
LAST but DEFINITELY, NOT the LEAST,
6) STOP relaxing on “Election Day” – I have personally known many people, who “chill out” on election day. They relax at home,munching snacks, lying like “couch potatoes” on their couches, “glued to” their idiot boxes, resembling idiots,themselves, and watching a movie marathon or cricket match. When asked why they are not participating in voting, their common excuse is: “I do not believe in democracy”! Really dude, then what do you believe in? Mubarak’s or Gadafi’s regime? Do you want some dictator to rule over you, who will gun you down if you dare to speak or protest? You should be proud that your country is the largest democratic country in the world, which gives you the opportunity to “vote” for the party of your choice!
One more lame excuse is “Every party is corrupt, so it’s of no use voting for anyone”! Really, so you mean to say that you are the descendant of Satya Harishchandra or Gandhi? No doubt,every party is corrupt in some way or the other, but don’t you think, it is your duty and responsibility to contribute to the exodus of that “corrupt party” by exercising your franchise?
Another excuse is “The EVM’s are not working/tampered“. Did you even get your a$$ off that couch, go and stand in a line, to actually check and prove your claim right?!!! Seriously, you get ONE opportunity,every four years to overthrow the corrupt government and you blew it?!
What do you do after “bomb blasts” or “terrorist strikes”? Curse, cuss, rant and burn mombattis at India Gate? Will your curses,cusses,rants or half burned mombattis bring back your loved ones to life?!
Now honestly analyze and assess the above mentioned six points and introspect who is more corrupt? You or the politicians? Now luckily, Janlokpal will take care of corrupt politicians and officials, but HOW will YOU be punished for your “routine” corruption?!!!
Follow me at: https://twitter.com/archer_2011