Anna Hazare movement has ramified BOTH online(blogosphere, twitter and facebook) and offline community,into two spheres,where people from different strata,society,status,genre,age,religion and walks of life,in India and across the world, are frantically expressing their views “for” and “against” it. Indian media like NDTV and CNN IBN are trying their level best to save Congress’ skin,thereby maligning Anna Hazare and his Janlokpal bill.
What is Janlokpal bill?
Few stalwarts like Anna Hazare, Kiran Bedi, etc, formed an organisation called India Against Corruption to fight against the FARCE Lokpal bill proposed by the government. This organisation has gained large visibility and momentum, both on facebook(with more than 54,000 people) and twitter(more than 3000 people) supporting it. When this org was formed,least did they expect that,they would receive such tremendous support.
The salient features of Janlokpal bill are:
- Cases against corrupt people will not linger on for years anymore: Investigations in any case will have to be completed in one year. Trial should be completed in next one year so that the corrupt politician, officer or judge is sent to jail within two years.
- The loss that a corrupt person caused to the government will be recovered at the time of conviction.
- How will it help a common citizen: If any work of any citizen is not done in prescribed time in any government office, Lokpal will impose financial penalty on guilty officers, which will be given as compensation to the complainant.
- So, you could approach Lokpal if your ration card or passport or voter card is not being made or if police is not registering your case or any other work is not being done in prescribed time. Lokpal will have to get it done in a month’s time. You could also report any case of corruption to Lokpal like ration being siphoned off, poor quality roads been constructed or panchayat funds being siphoned off. Lokpal will have to complete its investigations in a year, trial will be over in next one year and the guilty will go to jail within two years.
- But won’t the government appoint corrupt and weak people as Lokpal members? That won’t be possible because its members will be selected by judges, citizens and constitutional authorities and not by politicians, through a completely transparent and participatory process.
- What if some officer in Lokpal becomes corrupt? The entire functioning of Lokpal/ Lokayukta will be completely transparent. Any complaint against any officer of Lokpal shall be investigated and the officer dismissed within two months.
- What will happen to existing anti-corruption agencies? CVC, departmental vigilance and anti-corruption branch of CBI will be merged into Lokpal. Lokpal will have complete powers and machinery to independently investigate and prosecute any officer, judge or politician.
- It will be the duty of the Lokpal to provide protection to those who are being victimized for raising their voice against corruption.
When Anna Hazare lead a march in January, they expected a crowd of 3000 people,but to their astonishment,they received an overwhelming response of more than 30,000 people.
A 72 year old man,Anna Hazare is observing a fast until death from April 5th,2011 at Jantar Mantar,so that we and our children can lead a better,corrupt free and quality life. Surprisingly,more than 12 lakh people have turned up at Jantar Mantar in support of his fast. They are patiently listening to his speeches, observing “fast” with him, cheering him and supporting the cause. The common elements seen in the supporters,(which comprise of youth,elders,men ,women,children,doctors,students,engineers,housewives etc) are anger,frustration,irritation etc. All are frustrated with the current functioning of government. People are frustrated with the speed at which new scam is cropping up,everyday,which will even override the rate of cropping up of mushrooms. Anger and frustration,bundled up,inside people’s hearts for more than 42 years are now being erupted. They needed an outlet to vent out their irritation,anger and frustration against this corrupt government,officials and politicians. They needed a spark,a podium, a cause.They needed a leader to hold their hand and lead them towards right direction,one movement to be worthy of the fight. They couldn’t have found something,more credible and apt movement,than the one,lead by a ethical and credible leader like Anna Hazare to change the fate and future of India, their own lives and the future of their children,for good.Anna Hazare’s supporters have even shooed away few politicians who had visited Jantar Mantar to have talks with him.
Congress spokesperson Manish Tiwari has called Anna Hazare childish. Many politicians are calling this non-violent movement,”blackmail”. CNN IBN and NDTV journos did not miss the opportunity of linking this movement to BJP and RSS,thereby calling Anna Hazare, a RSS man or a person belonging to Sangh Pariwar. Many believe he has been influenced and planted. Many tweeters are expressing their views against him and his movement. Ms Barkha Dutt, who recently had invited Kiran Bedi on her show,fight against corruption, changed tunes and is frantically tweeting hatred against Anna Hazare and his movement. Irony eh? Congress lapdogs like NDTV,CNN IBN are at their best,trying to churn out rubbish,and giving this movement a political twist.
Whether people like it,hate it,criticize it,condemn it or loathe it, Anna Hazare has been trending at #1 spot on twitter since 2 days,with more than 2000 tweets sent in support of Anna Hazare,every 2 seconds! Astonishing ain’t it? Times now is currently in favor of this movement.
What I fail to understand is the same people who sang praises of M.K Gandhi and called him “Father of the nation” when he held “Salt Satyagraha” , “Dandi March”, “Quit India movement” etc, are now condemning and criticizing Anna Hazare when he is following Gandhian footsteps of non violence and fasting until death,to fight corruption. They are calling his “fast”, blackmail. So,by the same yard stick,does Gandhi’s non violent movement also amount to blackmail?
Congress government’s apathy towards this movement is pathetic. Its been second day of fast,but still, neither Sonia Gandhi, nor Manmohan Singh or Prathibha Patil have visited Anna Hazare, or requested him to end the fast or proposed to have talks with him,regarding his fast or movement. If Anna Hazare faces any health issues,due to his fast, will it not prick the conscious of these apathetic people?
Also, if these corrupt people are not in favor of this movement,its fine. But instead of refraining from commenting,they are indulging in defaming,name calling,maligning,criticizing and ridiculing a 72 year old man,who is on fast,not for his own selfish needs,but for the future of India.
Lately,PM Manmohan Singh had falsely accused Anna Hazare for not having sane and calm talks with him, to solve this issue. But,Anna Hazare has denied and proved ALL those allegations wrong by writing this 5 point letter to Manmohan Singh.
Previously, Mr Sharad Pawar was appointed as the head of “government of ministers” to frame the lokpal bill. But,Anna Hazare criticized and questioned this decision of electing a corrupt minister, like Sharad Pawar to head a committee, designed towards forming a bill against corruption. The first achievement of Anna Hazare movement is “Resignation of Sharad Pawar” following this criticism.
Also,Bollywood celebrities like Aamir Khan,Diya Mirza,Juhi Chawla,Anupam Kher,Purab Kohli,Priyanka Chopra,etc have rendered support of Anna Hazare through their tweets,and also,pleading their followers to follow suit.
Do you ever lament,for not being part of freedom struggle, lead by Mahatma Gandhi? You can definitely compensate for it,by rendering your support to Anna Hazare’s movement. The only difference is Gandhi fought against Britishers,but Anna Hazare is fighting against pseudo-Gandhis and the corrupt system.
Its NOW or NEVER!!!
I SUPPORT ANNA HAZARE! Do YOU?
P.S : A blogger,S.Sudhir kumar also writes why he fasts for Anna Hazare! His post can be found here
Another blogger, i_panchajanya has written his views, as to why he supports Anna Hazare here